Get Outside and Hawkwatch With Us!
Join watch sites throughout North America during International Hawk Migration Week (IHMW) to enjoy the annual spectacle of fall raptor migration and help raise awareness of hawks, hawk migration, and the HMANA network of sites that make HawkCount.org an invaluable resource.
This particular week in mid-to-late September was chosen due to the sheer number of raptors counted across North America. Last year, 108 sites throughout Canada, the United States, and Mexico tallied over 590,000 migrating raptors during IHMW.
This year 50 sites will be displaying their free weatherproof HMANA IHMW banners and celebrating with festivals, workshops, and special raptor events.
We hope you’ll join us! Here are a few ways to take part:
- Head out to your favorite hawkwatch or visit a new site (remember to check state/site guidelines for visits during the pandemic).
- Introduce a friend or young person to hawk watching.
- Organize an HMANA donor drive or raise money to sponsor your favorite site’s HawkCount page (September is fundraising month for the database!).
- Participate in a Big Day count or have a watch site cookout to celebrate hawk migration!
- Consider supporting your local hawk watch with a site or HMANA donation.
For more information on participating, please visit HMANA or contact HMANA monitoring site coordinator Julie Brown.
Join our September Lunch & Learn Virtual Program celebrating IMHW on September 20!
Thank you to our official IHMW sponsor, Opticron Optics Company, for supporting hawk watching and making banners possible for the raptor monitoring network!