Get Outside and Hawkwatch With Us!
Join watch sites throughout North America during International Hawk Migration Week (IHMW) to enjoy the annual spectacle of fall raptor migration and help raise awareness of hawks, hawk migration, and the HMANA network of sites that make HawkCount.org an invaluable resource.
This particular week in mid- to late-September was chosen due to the sheer number of raptors that are counted across North America. Last year, 108 sites throughout Canada, the United States, and Mexico tallied over 590,000 migrating raptors during IHMW.
This year 50 sites will be displaying their free weatherproof HMANA IHMW banners and celebrating with festivals, workshops, and special raptor events. We hope you’ll join us! Here are a few ways to take part:
- Head out to your favorite hawkwatch or visit a new site (remember to check state/site guidelines for visits during the pandemic).
- Introduce a friend or young person to hawkwatching.
- Organize a HMANA donor drive or raise money for a sponsorship of your favorite site’s HawkCount page (September is fundraising month for the database!).
- Participate in a Big Day count or have a watch site cookout to celebrate hawk migration!
- Consider supporting your local hawkwatch with a site or HMANA donation.
Join our September Lunch & Learn virtual programming celebrating IMHW on September 20!
Thank you to our official IHMW sponsor, Opticron Optics Company, for supporting hawkwatching and making banners possible for the raptor monitoring network! Visit them here for all your hawkwatching supplies!