CenCal TanagerHawks

Raptorthon Date: April 8, 2023

For our Raptorthon, the CenCal TanagerHawks are heading to numerous birding hotspots between Fresno and Madera. We will be visiting Friant Cove, Lost Lake Park, Millerton Lake State Recreation Area, the River Center, and Road 208 (aka the Madera County grasslands). Some of these locations are situated along the San Joaquin River and some are located in open grasslands with scattered oaks. All of these locations attract a variety of raptors and other exciting species, both resident and migratory. April is an exciting time of year for spring migrants in Central California, so we hope to count a high number of species!

Some of our targets include Swainson’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, White-tailed Kite, Northern Harrier, Great Horned Owl, Bullock’s Oriole, Western Kingbird, Rufous-crowned Sparrow, Tricolored Blackbird, Nuttall’s Woodpecker, and so many more! We will be inviting members of the public to join us as we count at the various locations as a way to generate excitement about the event itself, to teach people about the raptors and other species local to Fresno, and to spread awareness of  the wonderful work that HMANA does for raptors! We are very excited to generate funds for HMANA’s various raptor research projects and Fresno Audubon’s bird education programs!

Please support our team with a donation. 75% of funds raised will support raptor monitoring programs at HMANA and the other 25% will support bird conservation education programming and field trips by Fresno Audubon.

Team Leader: Rachel Clark, President, Fresno Audubon Society


Login to your account